How To Elevate Your Presence And Present Yourself With Confidence
You’re talented and experienced with great credentials, but today’s fast-paced, competitive global marketplace is inundated with talent. How are you going to stand head and shoulders above the crowd?
Whether you own a business or work within an organisation, the key to elevating your presence and growing your career is CONFIDENCE.
With grace and confidence, you can make a lasting impact and begin to create influence within your industry. Here are 5 tips to help you elevate your professional presence and present yourself with confidence:
- Own your credibility and your personal strengths. Set any self-doubt aside and believe in yourself. You are an accomplished professional with plenty of reasons to feel confident, so this is about backing yourself. Be proud, not only of your qualifications and accolades but also your best personality traits, interpersonal skills and business acumen.
- Dress the part. When you look and feel amazing, you will exude confidence, so choose outfits that flatter your best features and make sure that you are maintaining the appropriate ‘look’ for your industry. This helps to create trust and reinforces your credibility. When you consistently dress for success, you send a clear, congruent message about who you are and where you want to go.
- Differentiate yourself. Yes, it’s important to dress and act appropriately for your industry, but you also need to find a way to stand out and express what you stand for, both verbally and non-verbally. What’s your unique point of difference? Are you clear about what you’re offering? It’s worth refining and revamping your brand so that you stick in people’s minds.
- Practice the physiology of confidence. Studies by well-known Harvard professor Amy Cuddy have shown that posture has a direct impact on key hormones like testosterone, which increases a person’s confidence. Try a daily practice of two-minute “power postures” such as stretching your arms out like you’re getting ready to hug someone, holding your arms up with clenched fists, or standing nice and tall with hands on hips.
- Focus on creating relationships. LinkedIn is an invaluable social platform for connecting with like-minded professionals and industry colleagues, but the real strength lies in the phone conversations and face-to-face catch-ups at an event or over coffee. Nurture real relationships and grow the network you’ve got around you. Develop your confidence by mixing with the people who bring out your best.
Would you like a free 15 min consultation with Melissa? Book here
Melissa Lewis, Founder of The Ascension Group works with high-performing women to unleash the power of their Executive Presence for greater visibility, reward and influence. As the founder of The Ascension Group, she has inspired thousands of exceptional women to commercialise their talents by taking their brand substance, character and personal style to the next level. A pioneer in the personal branding space, key to Melissa’s ‘special sauce’ is the Bates Communication ExPITM Assessment tool, the world’s first scientifically-validated way of measuring executive presence, which she has brought to Australia. She has worked with organisations and leaders from KPMG, Telstra, Amex, Bendigo Bank, CBUS Superannuation, Eventbrite, KMPG and Coles.